1) When was it written?
The book was written in 1996
2) What kind of book is it?
It is chick literature.
3) When and where is the story set?
The story is set between 1990 1999 in London.
4) What is it about?
It’s about a woman, who is 32 years old and desperately searching for true love.
This woman has a huge complex. She thinks she’s too fat. She is also a little clumsy.
That brings her into the funniest situations. She has made new year resolutions. She
is trying to fulfil them, but a few aren’t that easy.
5) Who are the main characters?
Bridget Jones: The women who’s desperately searching for true love.
Daniel Cleaver: He is Bridget’s boss. He is ‘The perfect men’. He is funny
Mark Darcy: one of those top-notch barristers. The man, who Bridget’s mother is
trying to match her with.
Mother of Bridget: The woman who’s trying to match her with Mark Darcy.
Tom: good friend of Bridget
Jude: good friend of Bridget
Sharon: good friend of Bridget
6) How does the story end?
She has found her true love. It’s Mark Darcy and he is perfect. He smart, rich and
7) Describe the style of the author. Justify your answer by giving examples and add
the number of the page in the book.
She uses a lot of long sentences.
· page 150, second paragraph, first sentence: She is thinking, while the sun
shines, other people are making a better use of their life.
· page 82-83, Tuesday 21 March: Birthday, second paragraph, second sentence:
She is telling about her stepping in a pan of mashed potato’s.
· page 219, third paragraph, second sentence: She’s telling about an invitation.
She doesn’t use a lot of adjectives.
· page 12, paragraph 5, sentence 8: she describe Mark Darcy with full sentence, in
stead of saying he is a divorced man.
· page 218, paragraph 3, first sentence: She says that she was feeling less then
assured in stead of saying she was feeling unsure.
She uses mostly descriptions, because it’s a diary.
· page 73, paragraph three: Daniel is going to tell Bridget that she’s a gorgeous
· page 202, paragraph three: She is describing the Question and Answer
· page 279, paragraph three: she is describing two policemen.
The tone of the book is reflective.
· page 20, paragraph 1, fourth sentence: All single woman fear to die alone.
· page 65, paragraph 1, first sentence: The negative thoughts about dieting. Every
woman, who is dieting, experiences a time of pointlessness.
· page 213, paragraph 2, second sentence: The fact that woman get less attractive
when they get older and men get more attractive. When I read this sentence I
started searching for examples in my own world and it is true.
She uses a lot of abbreviations.
· page 147, paragraph 11: FN (fine)
· page 211, first paragraph: v.g. (very good)
The tone of the book is fascinating
· She always says her opinion. They are only given her thoughts. You can clearly
see that she is going through a lot of depressions, because she isn’t pleased with
herself. She drinks a lot to forget her problems.(page 292)
8) What do you think is the intention of the writer with this story? What does she
want the readers to experience when reading the book?
I think the meaning of the book is: “everybody will find his true love”. Whether
you are sixteen, thirty or even ninety years old. Everybody is experiencing some
ups and downs, but eventually everybody will find luck.
9) Has the book been made into a film? Explain why filming the story is a good or a
The book has been made into a film. It was a good idea, because it’s a typical movie
for women. It is about finding your true love. It’s about searching for luck and
eventually finding it. It is a movie that every woman likes. It is a movie that every
woman would like to see.
10) Would you recommend the book? Explain why or why not.
Yes, I would recommend the book. I don’t like to read English books, but this
book was very good. I have read the whole book in just two days. I have also
see the movie, but there where a lot of differences. Mark Darcy wasn’t at her
birthday party, Mark Darcy didn’t say “I like you just the way you are”, there
wasn’t a fight between Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver,…
11) Indicate which part is the most typical part or your favourite part in the book.
Mention page(s) and explain why.
page 222: The whole part of Wednesday 27 September. This was the funniest part
of the whole book. Can you imagine that everybody has seen you on television like
that. It is very humiliating. That’s one of the typical things for Bridget. She’s always
humiliating herself. She is very clumsy. That’s also the thing that makes the book